Actions of individuals can have a huge impact. By writing to your local or European politician to urge them to support policies that encourage sustainable consumption, to requesting more plant-based options in restaurants, we all have the power to make change happen. Additionally, individuals’ food choices have an important role to play when it comes to bringing sustainability on/to the table. Here is a number of ways to achieve this starting from your next meal.
- One of the first active steps you can take is to cut out meat and animal products altogether for two days per week. This will reduce your consumption of those products by 30% and you will be able to immediately notice the positive changes in your health while in the long run this would be beneficial for our environment. If you would prefer, skip eating animal products at lunch or dinner every day of the week.
- Try to reduce your consumption of processed meats to the minimum as they are doubly unhealthy not only for the planet, but also for your body. Instead, opt for plant-based versions of your favourite hot dog, sausage, or burger. You can find out what your favourite is by experimenting with different recipes available on the internet or in cookbooks.
- Nowadays, cutting down your intake of all animal products is not hard either. Plants offer high quality proteins and can easily be used as a healthy replacement ingredient in your meals. Legumes, mushrooms and different types of nuts can be used as delicious substitutes for meat, while a variety of plant-based milks is also made accessible to choose from in the near supermarket.
- Challenge yourself and try making vegetables and pulses the star of your dishes (as often as possible). For inspiration, you can turn yourself to new cultures and experiment with their typical spices, flavours and textures. It has never been easier to taste Asian, Mexican, Indian and Eastern-European cuisines than in today`s globalized world.
- Don`t forget a healthy plant-based diet is a well-researched diet. It is important to pay special attention to your vitamin, mineral and protein intake once in a while. The secret of avoiding any nutrient deficiencies is to eat wholesome and various foods that complement each other.